Sunday, December 15, 2013

Solar Air Heater - First attempt

Here is a couple pictures of my first solar air heater I attempted. I built it out of a 4x8 plywood and used 2x4's, duct tape, insulation, down spouts, beer cans and computer fans. This air heater put out 200+ degrees F during the summer months when I built it. When winter came I tested at 20 degrees F or so and put out about 176 degrees F. When I came home from work one day I found my air heater all melted down. The insulation was rated at 200 degrees F.  Over all it was a good experiment and I will redesign it to handle lower temps and use less materials. Less is more in this case.



1 comment:

  1. I will try to get my second design updated sometime soon. I built it smaller about 3x5 ft and more simple with passive air flow on my garage. At 0 degree F temps, the hottest I have seen it get was 127 degrees F! I plan on adding to the addition every year to heat my garage.

    ReplyDelete